I grew up eating these sweet and crispy Russian buttermilk pancakes, or as we called them, Oladi. My mom would always fry up a big batch any time we were having a special breakfast. When we got older, she would make these for weekend breakfasts because the delicious smell would be the only thing that could get teenagers out of bed before noon.
These Russian buttermilk pancakes are crispy on the outside but fluffy and chewy on the inside. They are absolutely delicious dipped in sour cream and your favorite homemade jam (the authentic way to eat oladi).
I began making these Russian buttermilk pancakes regularly when I started receiving fresh buttermilk (and all my dairy products) at my doorstep. Smith Brothers Farms has totally simplified my life with the convenience of their delivery service, that’s why we want you to try it too! Scroll to the bottom to read more about their awesome delivery service and products, get your first order free, and enter the raffle to win six weeks worth of free products!
Ingredients For Russian Buttermilk Pancakes:
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
Makes enough for 2-4 people. Double recipe for a larger group.
Directions For Russian Buttermilk Pancakes:
In a large measuring cup, whisk 1 teaspoon of baking soda into 1 cup of Smith Brothers buttermilk.
In a medium bowl, whisk 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla.
Add in the baking soda/buttermilk mixture.
Mix in 1 1/2 cups of flour. You should have a really thick batter.
Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium heat with a generous amount of canola or coconut oil. Make sure that there is enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan! (This is what makes the pancakes nice and crispy so don’t skimp!)
Drop in batter with a large spoon to make small ovals about 2″ long.
Cook on one side until it starts to turn golden brown on the bottom and batter is bubbling.
Turn and cook until browned on the other side.
Set on a paper towel to drain excess oil. Cook in batches so the pan is not overcrowded. (Add more oil to the skillet between batches so the bottom is always covered in oil.)
Serve hot with fresh Smith Brother’s sour cream and jam. (Smith Brother’s has the thickest and creamiest sour cream I’ve tried!)
Smith Brothers Farms Giveaway
Here are just a few reasons why we love Smith Brothers Farms and have been using their delivery service for 5+ years:
- online ordering makes it super easy
- free delivery when you order $10 or more
- the milk travels from farm to doorstep in 2-3 days vs. 3 weeks for grocery store dairy products
- organic options available
- different pasteurization process makes for creamier and more nutrient dense dairy
- prices are comparable with grocery stores but the quality is much better
- Smith Brothers delivers a great variety of food products from local businesses in addition to dairy (I always get the Seattle Bagel Bakery bagels and Stumptown coffee beans!)
If you are in the Seattle-Tacoma area, you can now try their service for free HERE (simply enter coupon code: SWEET at checkout for $20 off your first order) and enter our giveaway below for a chance to win 6 weeks of free products ($120 value- $20/week for 6 weeks)!
Now you can make sweet and crispy Russian buttermilk pancakes using the same great products we do!
6 WEEKS FREE DELIVERY W/ SMITH BROTHERS FARM
1. Sign up for your free $20 worth of products @ SmithBrothersFarm.com using coupon code: SWEET at checkout
2. Share this post on Facebook with your friends (make sure you tag us so we know you shared!)
3. Comment below to let us know you’ve entered!
**If you already receive Smith Brother’s services, simply share on Facebook and comment below!
Winner will be announced on June 5th. Good luck!
We are so excited to partner with Smith Brothers Farms, a family owned, local company and thank them for sponsoring this post and awesome giveaway!
**Tag your photos with #sweetsomethingsblog if you make any of our recipes! We’d love to see your food and can’t wait to comment!
Subscribe to our email list below to get exclusive content, recipes, and updates weekly.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- In a large measuring cup, whisk 1 teaspoon of baking soda into 1 cup of Smith Brothers buttermilk
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1 egg, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the baking soda/buttermilk mixture.
- Mix in 1 1/2-2 cups of flour. You should have a really thick batter.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium heat with a generous amount of canola or coconut oil.
- Drop in batter with a large spoon to make small ovals about 2" long.
- Cook on one side until it starts to turn golden brown on the bottom and batter is bubbling.
- Turn and cook until browned on the other side.
- Set on a paper towel to drain excess oil. (Add more oil to the skillet between batches if needed)
- Serve hot with fresh Smith Brother's sour cream and jam.