Step away from the stove! Seriously… put down that spatula, leave your pots and pans, and just take a break. After all the cooking you’ve done for the holidays, you deserve it. You don’t need to spend hours in the kitchen to make this rich and savory ham and corn chowder for dinner; let your slow cooker do all the work. Remember how I advised you to make enough honey glazed ham in order to have leftovers? This is how you can use all that delicious ham for the perfect crockpot dinner.
Rich and Savory Ham and Corn Chowder
3-4 cups leftover honey glazed ham (or store-bought is fine), diced
5-6 medium gold potatoes, cut into quarters then sliced (peeling is optional)
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
2 small carrots peeled and sliced
1 can corn (with liquid)
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups half & half (or milk of choice)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
salt and pepper to taste
- Take your left over honey glazed ham and separate it from the bone, then dice. You can cut off any unwanted fat at this point. If you do not have leftovers, you can pick up some pre-cooked smoked ham from the store and it works just as well!
- Combine the ham, vegetables, and canned corn in a crockpot. I like to throw the corn in with all the liquids that it comes in to highlight its sweetness. You can also make this soup in your dutch oven if you don’t own a crockpot. You’ll just sauté the veggies in 2 tbsp of oil first, then add in your broth, ham, potatoes and corn and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add six cups of chicken or vegetable broth and cook on high for 3-4 hours (until the vegetables are cooked through and soft). I like to use potatoes with the peel on, but it does kind of come off after cooking, so if you’re not a fan of the texture, make sure to peel your potatoes!
- Stir in cream (or milk) and shredded sharp cheddar until it is fully melted. Half and half is the best option for this soup, but if you don’t have any on hand you can substitute with whole milk to add the creaminess.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep in mind that the ham adds some saltiness to the soup already.
You can serve the ham and corn chowder immediately or keep it on the “warm” setting for an hour or two until dinner. This soup is perfect with some warm crusty bread to dip into the broth! I love how little effort and time in the kitchen this recipe requires– perfect for a busy day or when you need to give yourself a little break! Enjoy!
- 3-4 cups leftover honey glazed ham (or fresh-bought from the store), diced
- 5-6 medium gold potatoes, cut into quarters then sliced (peeling is optional)
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 can corn (with liquid)
- 6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups half & half or milk of choice
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Separate ham from bone then dice.
- Combine ham, cut vegetables, and canned corn in a crockpot.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth and cook on high for 3-4 hours (until vegetables cooked through and soft).
- Stir in cream (or milk) and shredded sharp cheddar until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or keep warm until dinner.